Filter By

Show All
X

Connect to

X

Amazon: A titan that's only getting stronger?

T-amazon--a-titan--3.jpg

According to the latest research from Mintel, 86% of Brits are Amazon shoppers or users (as of October 2018), with more saying they have also increased their shopping (21%) with the retailer than decreased it (13%) over the past year.

Its customers also appear to have clear trust in the brand: half (51%) assume that the online retail giant has the cheapest prices, slightly more (59%) say they are loyal to the company and almost three quarters (70%) report that it’s the first stop whenever they shop online.

According to the DMA’s latest ‘Customer Engagement 2019: How to win trust and loyalty’ research, Amazon features across several sectors as the preferred brand. Overall and among retail brands, it is the most popular. Among media entertainment the second most popular (tied with Netflix), and the fourth most popular among consumers choosing their favourite technology brand.

Amazon’s model clearly engages consumers across several areas – ultimately giving them access to other brands and services, but via their single brand.

But is this relationship built on more than convenience and price?

According to the DMA’s insight, 67% of people who chose Amazon as their favourite retailer are loyal to them for genuine reasons – rather than convenience alone. In a retail context, this does flip, with a majority (65%) seeing their loyalty as driven convenience – leaving 35% feeling a genuine connection. While for media and entertainment it is closer to 50/50, with 43% citing habit or convenience and 57% genuinely feeling loyalty to the brand.

Nick Carroll, Mintel Associate Director of Retail, said: “In a little over 20 years, [Amazon] has grown to be a retailer that nearly all consumers use. It has achieved this through a relentless focus on customer-facing investment and innovation. Amazon started selling books, but now holds a significant share in almost all retail categories, helped by the incubation of thousands of independent sellers through its Marketplace scheme. Amazon has built a platform that customers are both happy to use, and pay for the privilege of doing so via its various subscription services.”

Indeed, according to Mintel’s figures, the popularity of Amazon’s Prime subscription-based service has solidified with now four in ten (39%) of consumers having access to the service. Just over a quarter (26%) personally being members and a further 13% sharing access through someone else’s account.

To find out more from the DMA’s report into loyalty and what brands can learn from Amazon, click the blue button. For more on Mintel’s report, visit: https://www.mintel.com/press-centre/retail-press-centre/the-amazon-effect-nine-in-ten-brits-shop-on-amazon

How to win trust and loyalty

Hear more from the DMA

Please login to comment.

Comments

Related Articles

The DMA Code is an aspirational agreement to which all DMA members and their business partners must adhere.

It aims to promote one-to-one marketing as a true exchange of value between your business, looking to prosper, and your customer, looking to benefit - and provides you with the five clear principles that will guide you to achieve this, and against which your conduct will be measured.

An important part of your role as a DMA member is to extol and spread the positive values and goals of this Code, for the benefit of our industry into the future.

web-image.png

An initiative born in Scotland, the DMA joins forces with partners and advocates as we seek to reshape the understanding of the true worth of information. Craig Paterson of The Data Lab offers this overview of an exciting new project.

VOD- Why we_re here.jpg

Mark Runacus, Chair of the DMA Board and co-founder / planning partner at Wax/On, on why CEOs must be the standard bearers for organisations looking to really understand data's value and worth

VOD- The role of the CEO.jpg

An initiative born in Scotland, the DMA joins forces with partners and advocates as we seek to reshape the understanding of the true worth of information. Read on for an insight into the Value of Data project.

Vaule of data.jpg