2019 Gold Best Use of Data and Insight
04 Dec 2019
Campaign Name: Faster fibre, happier customers
TalkTalk had households on the wrong product, with limited capacity that no longer matched their needs - and there was no way to identify them.
Customers were unhappy with their speeds, meaning low satisfaction and a high churn rate. TalkTalk needed to convince them that fibre was the right product for them.
- Understanding data usage would allow customers to make informed decisions
- Customers found key terms confusing
- A chart showing daily usage across the month was key, pinpointing capacity slowdowns
Educating customers with clear graphics and everyday language was vital.
The biggest challenge was how to break down all of the data in an accessible and digestible way to highlight they were on the wrong product.
TalkTalk could then recommend fibre to improve speed and experience.
The data team created a usage formula that took the form of a simple visual representation of near-capacity.
Compelling visuals and infographics showed the difference between broadband and fibre with jargon-free language.
An accompanying video used the analogy of a water pipe to explain why fibre is a better fit in everyday, non-technical terms.
TalkTalk's online dashboard My Service Centre was designed to showcase broadband performance data in a highly visual and digestible way, driving engagement.
- TalkTalk has successfully encouraged over 52,000 customers to make the move to fibre
- This has resulted in an extra £3.7m in revenue (based on an 18-month customer tenure)
- There’s been a campaign ROI of 30:1
Victoria Shipton, Senior Marketing Manager, TalkTalk - Louise Bailey, Senior Marketing Manager, TalkTalk - James Porter, Senior Account Director, The&Partnership - Jessica Metcalfe, Senior Planner, The&Partnership - Sophia Goodall, Customer Marketing Manager, TalkTalk - Emma Brennan, Customer Marketing Manager, TalkTalk